What We Do
NorthStar assists at each stage of the life settlement investment cycle.
We offer a full range of premier services to institutional and private investors in life settlements, which are life insurance policies that have been sold by consumers.
The firm manages every transaction and portfolio with a personalized solution that considers the investor’s goals, budgetary requirements and risk tolerance in order to construct a strategy designed to maximize investment returns.
NorthStar serves approximately 20,000 investors — including institutions, individuals and commercial lenders — who have deployed capital into the asset class.
Who We Are
Meet the members of the NorthStar executive management team.
Chief Executive Officer
John McFarland is the owner and chief executive officer of NorthStar Life Services. Additionally, he and his team, through NorthStar Capital Management, LLC, focus on managing distressed portfolios.
- MBA from Georgia Tech, Scheller College of Business
- Bachelor of science degree from Oklahoma State University.
- Former member of the board of directors and officer of the Life Insurance Settlement Association.
Chief Operating Officer
Kimie’s diverse experience ranges from trading foreign currency and underwriting mortgage-backed securities to managing insurance derivative products — including premium, modeling/management and valuation of portfolios — on behalf of institutional investors.
- Bachelor of science degree from California State University, where she studied both accounting and economics.
Director of NorthStar Operations
Tara has more than 15 years of industry exposure, having worked with a life settlement provider, life expectancy underwriter and insurance servicer, spanning key service areas such as client relations, portfolio management and contract negotiation.
- MBA from Georgia State University, J. Mack Robinson College of Business.
- Bachelor of Science degree from Spelman College.
Director of Insured Services
Britta has a depth of knowledge and experience in life insurance servicing, policy origination, asset evaluation, risk mitigation, and client relationships.
- Master of arts degree in organizational leadership and executive coaching and consultation from Concordia University Irvine.
- Bachelors of arts degree from the University of Washington, where she majored in Communications and Political Science.